Recovery Partition Creator 3.0

May 17, 2013 by Christopher Silvertooth

IMPORTANT Update:  Recovery partition creator 3.5 currently does not work with Mavericks.  A new version 3.7 is available which works with Mavericks (10.9) and can be found on the downloads page.  I am leaving 3.5 up in case 3.7 does not work with 10.7 and 10.8

UPDATED to 3.5 – Thanks to those who have been testing this for me.

IMPORTANT:  This does not work with Fusion Drives and most likely never will due to the process and destructive nature when creating a recovery partition on a fusion drive.

Here it is folks.  I am going to release it as is because it doesn’t appear to have any issues other than the dialog boxes could use some work.  Feel free to give it a go and provide feedback.  This release only works with 10.8 or later.  It might actually work with 10.7 but I need to test it.  Here is the quick run down of features in this post.

Also, you do need the OS X Installer from the App Store in order for this script to work.  Some users have been kind in pointing that out as I don’t think I have mentioned it since back in version 2.0.

Cheers,

Downloads Page

Keywords:  Recovery Volume Partition Create Drive Missing OS X Lion 10.7 10.8

apple / Mac Fixes / tools

Comments

1. Pedro says:

This didn’t work for me. After the “creating partition… this may take a while” message disappeared, no success message or anything. Let the computer like that for an hour, rebooted and it still ran internet recovery.

Ideas? 10.8.3, late 2011 MBP.

In the terminal type ‘diskutil list’ and post or email me the output. After the progress bar disappears it can take a minute or two before it posts the success message. Try re-running the application and see if it works.

Thanks,

• Pedro says:

Thanks for your help! Here’s the output:

/dev/disk0
        0: GUID_partition_scheme *240.1 GB disk0
        1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
        2: Apple_HFS MacOSX 239.7 GB disk0s2
        /dev/disk2
        0: Apple_partition_scheme *588.7 MB disk2
        1: Apple_partition_map 30.7 KB disk2s1
        2: Apple_Driver_ATAPI 2.0 KB disk2s2
        3: Apple_HFS Mac OS X Lion Recove… 588.6 MB disk2s3

This was a brand new disk on which I used internet recovery to install ML.

• Pedro says:

I also re-ran the app, same thing happened.

Hmmm… Everything looks in order. When it asks you to choose a disk you choose “MacOSX” correct? Also, you are choosing the “Install OS X Mountain Lion.app” when it asks as well? When I get home and have access to my source code I will put up a version that has all the debug tests in it that can help verify what might be happening. I should have it posted here in about 4 or 5 hours.

Thank you for your patience and help.

• Pedro says:

Ok I ran 2.0.5 which is more verbose. It told me my disk wasn’t clean for some reason, even though I ran fsck just before… so I ran it again, and it worked.

However now I have more recovery whatsoever… not even internet. If I hit command-r, it just stays forever at the white screen, doesn’t even try to go to internet recovery 🙁

Now I see this (disk2 which was the recovery is gone…)
            $ diskutil list
            /dev/disk0
            0: GUID_partition_scheme *240.1 GB disk0
            1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
            2: Apple_HFS MacOSX 239.2 GB disk0s2
            3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

So it looks to make more sense, recovery should be on disk0 not disk2 (that doesn’t even exist o.O). Ideas?

Thanks again.

• Pedro says:

Ok I’m done spamming you now haha. I re-ran 3.0 again… this time I got the success message. I left it at the white screen and eventually it booted into recovery. Seems it’s just really slow to boot, maybe because recovery is at the end of the disk? Oh well, still faster than internet and accessible offline, that’s what counts!

Anyway, thanks a lot for your work and I appreciate your help!

Yeah, for whatever reason the recovery boot is a bit slow. It is in the correct location /dev/disk0s3. I wonder why my script didn’t pick up the error on your drive? That is one of the parts that is hard to test since I need a drive with errors to emulate the experience. Sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier I forgot how much was planned when I got home. Glad it works now.

• noone says:

Same thing happened to me…the “tail” process was apparently still running even though I let the stupid thing run overnight.

Oh well. It worked on one macbook pro I ran it on and doesn’t work on this one. No idea why as they are both on 10.8…doesn’t make any sense…

I made some changes to the recovery partition program. It is now updated to 3.5. Please give it a shot and let me know.

Thanks,

2. AB says:

Hi, I’ve run versions 2 and 3 of the installer without success. For full disclosure: I’m doing this as I installed a Sandisk SSD in my Macbook Pro (early 2011), to which I cloned my system (using SuperDuper), and I now want to switch on FileVault. I’m using Mountain Lion.

Running “distil list” gives the following return:

/dev/disk0 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *480.1 GB disk0 1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1 2: Apple_HFS BertieSSD 479.8 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: Apple_partition_scheme *588.7 MB disk1 1: Apple_partition_map 30.7 KB disk1s1 2: Apple_Driver_ATAPI 2.0 KB disk1s2 3: Apple_HFS Mac OS X Lion Recove… 588.6 MB disk1s3

That seems to me to confirm the creation of a recovery partition, but when I try to enable FileVault I get the error: “Some disk formats don’t support the recovery partition required by encryption. To use encryption, reinstall this version of Mac OS X on a reformatted disk Some disk formats don’t support the recovery partition required by encryption. To use encryption, reinstall this version of Mac OS X on a reformatted disk”.

2 questions please: (1) Do you think it’s my SSD causing the issue. If so (2a) how do I delete my surplus recovery partition, please. If not: (2b) What next? Thanks for your help

3. AB says:

By way of update, I’ve run “diskutil list” again and the recovery partition seems to have gone:

/dev/disk0
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *480.1 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS BertieSSD 479.8 GB disk0s2

The disk that was there earlier was a mounted dmg I download from Apple to install the recovery partition. I am uploading a new version of the program that has a few more checks that I hope will shed some light.

Thanks,

4. AB says:

Chris, I’ll test ASAP – later this week. Thanks for being so responsive.

5. Randy says:

I just used this to fix my MacBook Pro running 10.8.3. I upgraded to an SSD and used Time Machine to restore. When I tried to use File Vault, I learned of this issue. Your script worked perfectly and saved me a lot of time. Thank you!!

Did you use the new 3.x version of the Recovery Partition Creator? I am glad it worked for you.

6. sault says:

It worked like a charm. Thank you so much.

7. Neal Sofge says:

I ran this just now and it worked well, but the recovery partition image stayed mounted after the script quit. I think you need an “hdiutil detach” command in there near the end.

Thanks for writing this, it saved me the trouble!

Thanks for the feedback. I will take a look at that and make the requisite changes.

8. Greg Dickson says:

Hi
    I have been trying dual boot linux on my brand new MB Pro 13″ w/f Retina
    broke the partition lost Recovery
    I am just trying to run your 3.1 script on Mountain Lion
    got to where to save OSX Mountain Lion.app prob as below

Repartioned drive removed all dos and linux
    reboot

diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 234.3 GB disk0s2

tried again
    selected Macintosh HD to install on.
    tried select directory click ok file menu comes up again and again until no more directories to navigate.
    The only option then is just Cancel.
    have looked at code and downloaded from listed URL
    RecoveryHDUpdate.dmg

both code and above in Downloads directory.

ran the script and still same result.

Any clues

Thanks Greg

I have noticed that bug. For some reason it takes a very long while to refresh… sometimes never. To get around it when the window opens to find your Mtn Lion installer just drag the installer onto the window and it will be selected.

Thanks,

9. Marc says:

Hi there, looking to rebuild an inaccessible ML recovery partition on the same drive that is currently already running FileVault2 – will the recreation of the recovery HD screw up the FileVault encryption?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

If you have filevault enabled you need to disable that prior to recreating your recovery partition. If you don’t it may not allow you to boot at all. If I remember correctly important filevault information is kept in the recovery partition and if you remove it to recreate it will no longer be there.

Thanks,

10. sM3e says:

I get this message

error “A resource wasn’t found.” number -192

It appears to be looking for ASObjC Runner-N.app

Any suggestions on getting this working for me?

11. GFS says:

I’m wondering how this script would cope with a non-standard Fusion drive?

I Fused my drives 6 months ago and of course that process involved re-formatting so I lost the Recovery HD. I would like it back if possible, but I’m nervous about trying to create one. Any ideas?

I looked at adding support for Fusion Drives but at this time the amount of work is too time consuming for my workload right now. I may look at it later when Fusion drives become more prevalent. I did try it in my own Fusion set up and it did not work.

Thanks,

12. Tun Tun says:

Hi

i installed OSX 10.8.4, window7 with bootcamp,ubuntu13 and backtrack on macbook 9,2 with rEFIT. when i press option key on startup i see recovery partition, but i cannot turn on find my mac. It says need recovery partition. So i use Recovery Partition Creator 3.5.

First : which one i should choose
    Bootcamp
    Mac OSX
    home
    net
    Second :where i can find mountain lion.app

my output is
    /dev/disk0
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Mac OSX 450.0 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
    4: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 150.0 GB disk0s4
    5: Microsoft Basic Data 70.0 GB disk0s5
    6: Linux Swap 15.0 GB disk0s6
    7: Microsoft Basic Data 30.0 GB disk0s7

i am new user of OSX. i don’t know how to do next.

Please Help me.

You should choose Mac OSX as the drive you are going to install the recovery partition on. You can get the OS X Mountain Lion.app by re-downloading it from the App Store. If you go to the purchases tab in the App Store you can select Mountain Lion and choose to download it again. I do see your recovery partition listed so either it got messed up by rEFIT or never installed correctly. I am pretty sure I tested my app with multiple partitions like you have and it worked but I would make sure you don’t have anything super important on there in case it doesn’t work correctly.

Good luck,

13. Matt Brooks says:

Doesn’t seem to work for me- just crashes after I choose the “Mac OSX app” . Do I need to delete the existing recovery partition for this to work?

No. It will overwrite an existing partition. I have never had the program crash… That is strange. It does take a while sometimes and the progress bar can disappear even though it is doing something. I recommend running the program with no other apps or windows open. This way if a prompt shows up you can see it on your desktop.

14. David Lee says:

Hi,

I’ve created Recovery HD with RPC 3.5 on my MacBook Pro 2010 running OSX 10.8.4. The script run smoothly until it ask to reboot my mac, after i click ok it appear “hdiutil: eject failed – No such file or directory” message. What is that means?

15. Ibrokhim says:

Dear friends,

I just bought a macbook air with OS X 10.8.4 on it. While trying to install Windows I accidently deleted the recovery partition and the partition which I was dedicating for windows. So now I have mac with only 33 GB alocated for it. Windows wont install. I tried restoring the whole partition through BootCamp, but it seems that Mac does not see the full partition, It see only its 33 GB.
    I downloaded and run your script, but it didnt help. I typed diskutil list and here what it says*
    /dev/disk0
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 36.0 GB disk0s2

Please help me to restore my McBook to factory settings. Will be grateful for any help

Do you care about the data on “Macintosh HD”? I would just delete the partition and re-create it. My utility doesn’t do resizing it only adds a recovery partition via a script apple created. Not sure how you ended up with a 36GB partition but if you can’t resize in disk utility you will probably need to delete the partition and recreate.

Good luck,

16. PacoH says:

Did anyone test this on OS X 10.7.5?

17. Mike Donald says:

Hi, I was wondering where the new recovery partition will go on the disk – physically.
    I ask because I have a true GPT disk and have Windows installed and booting by EFI (not Bootcamp, although after installing Apple’s drivers it’s now called a Bootcamp partition).
    In other words, although I have Windows on the disk there is no hybrid MBR atrocity on the drive.
    My output of diskutil list is

mike$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *251.0 GB   disk0
       1:                        EFI                         419.4 MB   disk0s1
       2:         Microsoft Reserved                         33.6 MB    disk0s2
       3:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                72.3 GB    disk0s3
       4:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            178.1 GB   disk0s4

I’m thinking of reducing the size of the Mac partition (but disk utility just hangs at the moment) to leave room for other Linux systems and a new recovery HD.
    The recovery HD always appears to be at the end of the disk though I’m not sure that’s the case actually.
    Thanks
    Mike

I honestly can’t remember where it is created. I call a script apple created and it doesn’t explain how it determines where the recovery drive goes. I don’t have a bootcamp partition anymore so I can’t say. My recovery drive is at disk0s3. Usually “Macintosh HD” is at disk0s2 but your setup is different. I would proceed with caution as you don’t have a “standard” configuration.

18. Mike Donald says:

Thanks Chris that’s pretty much my own thoughts 🙂
    It is somewhat comforting to see that you have the recovery partition in a non-standard place though.
    My “Bootcamp” partition is only that in name as it was created manually (not by bootcamp).
    My immediate problem is that disk utility is hanging when trying to shrink the Macintosh HD partition. I have read that this may be due to my system not having a recovery HD though I doubt that’s the reason. I’ll verify disk/permissions etc and try that again.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

19. stephy rul says:

Hi folks,

thx for this.

This worked for me.
    I just choosed “Mac OS X Lion Installation.app” !
    (where it mentioned WRONG “Mountain Lion.app”;-) )

Info:
    Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5
    MacPro 1,1 3Ghz
    5 Hardisks

have a nice day
    stephy

20. Matthew Olson says:

I have a fusion drive on a 13″ mid 2009 MacBook Pro and I have tried 3.5 a few times to no avail.

diskutil list:
    /dev/disk0
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *128.0 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_CoreStorage 127.7 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3
    /dev/disk1
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
    2: Apple_CoreStorage 499.8 GB disk1s2
    3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3
    /dev/disk2
    0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD *624.5 GB disk2

21. Yves says:

Script works very well for Mountain Lion 10.8.5. on iMac 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, end 2012
    🙂
    Was just surprised to have to locate “Installer OS X Mountain Lion.app” during the installation process. After installation of Mac OS X, this installer disappears from the Application folder.
    I had to download it again from the Appstore.
    Perhaps it would help to have this information before launching the script (where you explain how to download the RecoveryHDUpdate.dmg).

Thank you for your very useful script.
    Yves

22. Robin says:

I work at a government institution where we image previously used Macs and then enable File Vault, which fails to work if it cannot find a recovery partition. I just tried your script and it worked great, so thank you very much! This was an older MacBook Air with a straightforward setup (single partition, image of 10.8.5 and a few apps) but the script ran and File Vault works now so it was very easy and very useful for me. I would like to echo the person who noted you failed to mention you need to have the Lion installer on the drive. I happened to have one on a nearby flash drive but this requirement isn’t mentioned anywhere, at least not from what I read.

23. Gabriel says:

Hi! I’ve done a fresh install of 10.9 and my recovery partition is missing, did you try the script on Mavericks?

Thanks for your time and effort.

Not yet though I don’t see why not. I will try and give it a go today if I can squeeze in the time.

Not yet. I just tried it and it failed. I will be looking at it today and see if I can get a fix out.

Thanks for your patience,

24. Michael Rand says:

I’m trying to upgrade to Maverick. I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 model with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and an OCZ Agility4 SSD. I’m receiving an error: OSX can’t be installed because a recovery system can’t be created. Here are the results of the diskutil list command:
    /dev/disk0
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *512.1 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS OCZ Agility4 506.1 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot 1.3 GB disk0s3

There’s no NAME for the Apple_Boot partition. Should I run this script to recreate the Apple_Boot partition so that Maverick will work?

If nothing is on the Apple_Boot partition I would merge it back into your main drive and then run the script. You can merge the Apple_Boot with this command.

diskutil mergePartitions HFS+ “OCZ Agility4” disk0s2 disk0s3

That should merge your strange 1.3GB Disk into your OCZ Agility. You should make sure your data is backed up in the event something bad happens.

Then run my utility to create the Recovery drive.

Cheers,

25. Tom Cavnar says:

Hi Chris,

I’m trying to run version 3.5 to recreate my recovery partition on a system running 10.8.5.

When I get to the create recovery partition portion of the script, it throws this error:

“hdiutil: eject failed – No such file or directory”

Any idea why that would happen?

Here’s my diskutil output:

lpt-tomc:~ tomc$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 648.1 GB disk0s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 101.7 GB disk0s4
    /dev/disk1
    0: 10.8 *9.2 GB disk1

Thanks,

-Tom

26. Bill says:

First time I ran it, it quit without any indication of having succeeded or failed. I reformatted the disk and tried again and this time I got the success message.

BTW, the title bar still says “3.6” in the 3.7 version.

27. Gwen says: