Recovery Partition Creator 3.7 – Updated for Mavericks

October 24, 2013 by Christopher Silvertooth

UPDATE!!! Version 3.8 - http://musings.silvertooth.us/2014/07/recovery-partition-creator-3-8/

I updated the program this afternoon to work with Mavericks.  I had to add some extra dialog boxes so that it would work with 10.9.  That said, I also added a skip option to the disk check since it was a requested feature.  You should check your disks unless you have a specific reason not to.   At any rate the new version is available below.  As always, you will need to have the Mac OS X Installer to create the recovery partition.

A few notes on the process.

Be patient with the program.  I have noticed that sometimes it takes up too 2 or 3 minutes for some of the dialog boxes to appear.  I am not sure why this is which is probably why I should re-write this in Objective-C.  Once you get the progress box let it run through.  The recovery disk creation can take up to 5 mins.  If you open the terminal and type “diskutil list” you should be able to tell if it has at least started or created the recovery partition.  It should look like below.

Screenshot 2013-10-25 09.31.29

My biggest advice is too watch the little applescript icon in the dock once you launch the program.  It will bounce up and down when something needs attention.  As long as it is down there the script should be doing something.  If it disappears then the process either completed or broke.

If any of you are running OS 10.7 or 10.8 can you let me know if the program still works with those versions.

Cheers,

Recovery Partition Creator 3.7

Keywords:  Recovery Volume Partition Create Drive Missing OS X Lion 10.7 10.8 10.9 Mavericks

apple / Mac Fixes / tools

Comments

1. Antonio says:

Hello.
    I tried your script, but it didn’t work for me. It stop on this –
    We are about to start the recovery creation process.
    Click OK to continue and choose the OS version you are going to install when prompted.

and nothing happens (((

That is sad :-( Let me run through it again and make sure I didn’t miss anything – I will post screen shots of what it is supposed to do. What OS are you on right now and what installer are you using?

Thanks,

• Moinak says:

Me too facing the same problem.

• Moinak says:

Finally worked for me..Just install OS X mavericks.Run Recovery partition creator 3.7.Locate the position of os x mavericks in applications.Thats all.U r done..!! Finally able to use find my mac..!!

2. Christopher Silvertooth says:

For those trying the program. I just tried version 3.7 on 10.8 and was able to use the Mavericks Installer to create a recovery partition on 10.8.3 Macbook Pro 13″. The recovery partition is a 10.9 Mavericks Recovery Partition and this may or may not cause problems. I imagine as long as your mac is capable of running Mavericks then it shouldn’t have any issues.

3. misnomer says:

Disregard last comment – I figured out the problem. I had to disconnect my external HD. After that, it worked like a charm. Thank you.

4. Ken says:

Thanks, this worked for me. I used it on a clean install of Mavericks that never had a recovery partition. I did run into a few issues, though. On my first try, I pointed it to the install .dmg file on my usb flash drive–that would cause the script to exit w/ no error. I then copied the original .dmg to my Applications folder, but the script would just ask me which partition to install to and then error out if I skipped the drive check. It required that I do the disk check to finally make it through the entire script. However, it does work. Thanks!

5. Bo says:

It looks like this is what I need, but I have a few questions before I jump off the cliff:)

I have a Mac Pro 3.1, and use an Accelsior card in it. I also have an SSD (for bootcamp) and two HDDs in Raid0 for data. I boot of the Accelsior card, and that is the only OSX boot partition in the Mac Pro.

It works fine with Mavericks, but when I upgraded to Mavericks, a recovery partition was not created. What I really want is a Mavericks recovery partition on a bootable USB key. Is that possible with your application? I.e. can I connect a USB key, run your utility, and have a bootable USB key created with a Mavericks recovery partition (and programs), that I can boot off if anything goes bunk?

Thanks in advance!

6. Corey says:

Thanks for investing the time into making this script! I’m trying to run it off Mavericks. My HD is partitioned into a main HD, a secondary one for Bootcamp, and then a third partition I created for storage.

I can only seem to run the script on the third partition. That’s fine, except it disappears after I select the OS Installer Version (10.9). There’s a quick window that appears with a loading bar and a button that reads something like ‘Abort Recovery Partition’

Is there any advice you can offer? I ran diskutil list already, but nothing seems to have been created. :(

My guess is you can’t run it against that partition and the quick window is the process starting and then failing. I haven’t tried with multiple partitions yet and it may be I have a bug in my code that doesn’t handle multiple partitions correctly. I will try and run through it on a test box and see what I come up with.

Thanks,

7. fidelenator@gmail.com says:

Thank you very much for your hard work!

8. Micah Britton says:

Thanks for your efforts!

Today I was able to use both this tool and the install disk creation tool both work flawlessly for me.

9. G.W. Francis says:

Christopher, thanks for your work in putting this together. I am one of those guys that knows just enough to screw things up if I try these things on my own. I have one question.

You state that you need the Installer to get this to work. I made a bootable install USB stick, will it be sufficient to just plug that in or should I redownload the installer to my HD? Does this script not download the recovery image as stated in the Lion post?

Thanks again.

10. Gino says:

DUDE, THIS IS FREAKING AMAZING!

I can finally enable Find my Mac back on my 2013 MBA after doing a clean install of mavericks!

11. [...] podéis descargarlo aquí desde la web de soporte de Apple. Tambien existe otra posible solución: Recovery Partition Creator 3.7. Ninguna de estas soluciones esta funcionaando a la totalidad de usuarios así que si es vuestro [...]

12. K.J. says:

THANX a lot (!)

Working directli is posted !

Just created Recovery partition with this script under latest MiNi running clean OSX Maverics with latest updates timed to date: 4.12.2013

K.J.

13. Bradster95 says:

I just want to sincerely thank you for this as I used a crazy partition scheme when I redid my machine with a clean maverick usb install. I should have left some free space so it could have made it during install but it was already too late at that point. So I went in Disk Utility, putzed around in that making 10gigs of free space and its working great. FYI – Find my iphone/find my computer/imac or iPad – was disabled and would not enable without a recovery partition. I wasn’t concerned with making one because I just found out you can actually boot to apples servers and re-install your factory OS, which is a hella cool feature if you ask me. Not sure it still works but its like CMD-OPTION-SomeLetter after you hear the sound on boot up. Anyways, just my two cents. Again I want to thank the Author of this piece of software as it is super handy. Sending positive vibes and kudos.

14. Umut says:

Works like a charm!
    Thank you very much!
    You have saved me from reinstalling everything again just to activate ‘Find My Mac’.

15. JJ says:

So after many many attempts of the script not working I finally found what makes it work. You have to use the actual full installer one downloads from the App store. I was using an extracted dmg file from the full installer..this does not work.
    As soon as I selected the full Maverick or Mtn Lion installer the script like a charm and the Recovery HD was created.
    Thanks for the script. Hopefully less errors with DeployStudio now.

16. chrisr says:

Wondering if this has worked properly with a fusion drive setup. I have it backed up, so I’m not too concerned, but after running, then checking with “diskutil list”, I see that it created a recovery partition on the HD member (in this case, disk3) of the Fusion drive (disk4).

This is a home-baked Fusion drive; I’ll compare with my late 2013 iMac w/ factory Fusion drive, and see where that recovery partition sits.

17. Daniel Bell says:

I just wanted to say thank you for your tool and for contributing positively to the internet.

18. Pino says:

Hi there , i’m tryng to use it on a late 2012 imac , but i’m finding problems , RPC starts , tell me that i’m running 10.8.5 , i choose the drive , then check for errors on the volume , ask me to choose the installation file ( i hope is the right one ) and after advise “we are about to start” closes without working.. is there something i can do ? i also tried the 3.5 but gave me the error hdiutil : ejected failed – File or Directory…

The installation file should be the downloaded OS X Installer you get from the app store. No other installer will work other than the one you get from Apple unmodified. Also, you must make sure after you choose the installer you wait a couple of mins. Watch the dock to see if the Applescript starts bouncing telling you that it is moving on to the next part.

Good luck,

19. Rish says:

This doesn’t seem to be working for me. I have a 2012 13″ MBA.

I’m pointing it to the Mavericks Installer from the App Store, and when right after it asks for my OS version, the script disappears from my dock.

Is there a partition size requirement? I’m pointing it to a 650 MB partition that was formerly my 10.8 Recovery, but is now blank.

20. Saqib says:

Tried this and while it worked fine, it has stopped me booting to my normal OS – the disk is encrypted and I can still see it in disk utility, I just can’t seem to get access to it.

Hmmm… if you had an encrypted drive you had to have a recovery partition in order to use FileVault disk encryption. You may still have access to the data on that disk by performing the following procedure.

That will allow you to decrypt the drive and hopefully boot back into OS X.

Good luck,

• KaZ says:

I had a similar situation to Saqib: I had FileVault but no recovery partition: when I booted while pressing command-R, the grey screen with an earth (also grey).

I ran the script and the first thing that happened was that my computer would only boot into recovery now. If I pressed option while booting, the encrypted partition with OS X on it wouldn’t show up.

p.a.n.i.c… I already saw myself restoring everything from Time Machine and I was so no up for it =(

Then, reading your link I had an idea: I booted into recovery, launched Disk Utility, decrypted the disk, and repaired it. It suddenly had a problem with the number of free blocks although it was fine just before running the Recovery Partition Creator (I checked). I repaired it, rebooted, and voilà! Everything was fine again and I still have my recovery partition.

21. decontent says:

Can I use this method right on my working Mavericks and all my data will be saved? Or there is a danger of data loss?

There is always a chance for data loss. That said, I have performed this procedure on my own system and others without ever losing data. Make sure you read all the directions and caveats before you proceed.

Thanks,

22. Ales says:

Thank you!

The process was seamless.

23. Anders Bohn Jespersen says:

When activating HDD encryption in Mavericks, it turned out, that the recovery partition was missing.
    After reading through a lot of somewhat outdated and quite scary suggestions for fixing this, I finally got to this page.
    The script worked flawlessly, and drive encryption accepted the new recovery partition.
    Thank you so much, for setting this up.

24. RG says:

Huzzah! Worked fine… eventually. The issue for me, as mentioned with others, was trying to use my USB installer, rather than the one from the Apps Store. Once downloaded & I started RPC, it did its thing all fairly quickly & painlessly. Thank you Chris!

25. Hi, I use Recovery Partition Creator 3.7 with OS X Mavericks successfully.

I would like to thank Chris for Recovery Partition Creator 3.7.

Luc

26. NK says:

Greetings and thanks for working on this script. What I’m trying to do is encrypt a volume on my external USB 3 backup HD. OS X Mavericks won’t let me do this unless that drive has a recovery partition. So Shirt Pocket Support (maker of SuperDuper which I’m using for backups) pointed me to your script.

What I’m confused about is, when I ran your script it seemed to say it wanted to install a recovery partition on my main HD, not the external HD…so I decided I better ask about it before going any further. Will there be an opportunity to tell the script to install the recovery partition on my external drive, or does it only work on the main drive?

Thanks

You can install it on any drive. When the “Choose the drive to install” window comes up just make sure you select your external drive from the list. I advise naming external drives something that makes sense and NOT “Macintosh HD”. Then just follow the rest of the prompts and it should begin creating a recovery drive. Make sure your External drive is formatted properly though. Most external drives have the wrong partition format (they are set to Windows MBR) so when you first get a drive you need to set it for GUID format. Doing this deletes everything from the drive so hopefully you have already done this :-) If you need help with that let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

27. studentrights says:

Awesome! Works perfectly!

28. kriss says:

Worked like a charm on 10.9.1. on a MBP 2008.
    For some reason the fresh install on my ssd missed the recovery partition.

29. Miguel says:

Hi, I would like to include this in my workflow for deploy studio. The work flow automatically creates a partition i just need to install the recovery application on the partition ( which is create by deploy studio), how would i do this without having the script create a new partition

Regards
    Mig

That is a great question. I suppose the easiest way is to just capture and image of the final recovery drive. If you want to leverage the script commands I would look at version 2.0.4 of Recovery Partition Creator which is a bash script. In there you can see a bunch of the commands I run that start the process. I thought about doing this myself once but never got around to it. Let me know if you have any questions and maybe we can figure it out.

Cheers,

30. James Brown says:

Trying to put the recovery partition on my Mavericks Mac Mini, but like Rish, the app dies after I “Choose OS Installer Version” – 10.9.

I don’t have an existing recovery partition:

diskutil list
    0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD RAID *499.8 GB disk2
    /dev/disk3
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *64.1 GB disk3
    1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1
    2: Apple_HFS OS X 10.9 Mavericks … 63.7 GB disk3s2

(disk3 is a thumbdrive I have plugged in with Mavericks installer on it).

The HD I am trying to put the partition onto is a RAID volume – it that the problem?

Thanks,

James.

BTW, I see this in the Console:

9/01/2014 2:42:20.066 pm Finder[280]: AppleEvents/sandbox: Returning errAEPrivilegeError/-10004 and denying dispatch of event syso/exec from process ‘Recovery Partition Creator 3.6′/0×0-0x4a04a, pid=971, because it is not entitled to send an AppleEvent to this process.

but this is long before choosing 10.9

I believe Apple has a knowledgebase article saying that RAID volumes are not supported. You will need to put the recovery partition on a different drive or flash disk.

31. Marcus says:

Hi Chris,

I’m running OSX 10.9.1 and when I try to start Recovery Partition Creator 3.7, OSX tells me that it can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

I erased and merged the recovery partition as you wrote in the “Restoring a lost Recovery Partition (Volume) in Lion” article and I am now downloading a new Mavericks installer from the appstore.

Could you please tell me what to do? Thank you.

If you ctrl-click to open the app then choose open it will bypass the security question. The reason it does that is I haven’t signed my application with Apple to validate who I am. This is a function of Gatekeeper. I hope that helps.

Chris

32. […] aber sehr langwierig sein kann. Aber es muss auch anders gehen. Genau das dachte sich auch Christopher Silvertooth der für  Mavericks ein AppleScript geschrieben hat, um genau diese fehlende Partition wieder […]

33. Jörg says:

I had tried to install Win8 on my iMac27 using boot camp. AS my machine comes with an internal DVD drive that’s broken, I had to figure out how to install Win using an external drive. After several weeks I finally succeeded, but while installing Win via Efi boot I unfortunately deleted the Mavericks recovery. I followed your instructions, and I’m now a happy owner of a Recovery Partition. Thank you, Sir!

34. […] Partycja recovery nie zostanie przeniesiona. Program do zrobienia partycji Recovery: Recovery Partition Creator 3.7 – Updated for Mavericks | Musings […]

35. pepito says:

Worked like a charm!
    After creating a BootCamp partition and before installing Windows, I created 2 more partitions, and I realized that my recovery HD partition didn’t load anymore (I got infinite spinning wheel below the black apple).
    Thanks to this script it works properly anew!!
    Thank you!

36. Tristan says:

I tried this script on my 2011 MacBook Air with three partitions already, and it does not seem to work. Here is my situation:

I created three existing partitions because I want on for the Mac OS system, one for the data, and one for Windows.

My current partition map is:

/dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *480.1 GB disk0
    1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Mac HD 210.0 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_HFS Mac Data 210.0 GB disk0s3
    4: Microsoft Basic Data Windows 59.6 GB disk0s4

I tried to point the install to any of the three working partitions, but none of them brought up the install window. The script just did not run.

My speculations and/or questions are:

(1) I upgraded my internal SSD to the OWC Aura SSD (thus the 480GB size). Is it possible that the script does not work on third party SSD?

(2) I remembered reading that there was a “4-partition” limitation for Mac Bootable partitions, which only the first 4 partitions can have bootable system. Since the recovery partition must be bootable, it appears that I can only do it in the two Mac partitions listed above; however, that would render my original third partition (Windows 7) to be the fifth in the disk0 sequence, which may prevent the recovery partition creation?

(3) Have you tried this script on multiple partition HD? You answered Corey’s question on November 9, above, and I am wondering if the script will work in my situation.

Thanks for your help!

I am pretty sure I have tried it back when I ran a few different tests. Tomorrow I will try again with a spare drive I have and post the results.

Thanks,

37. Adam says:

Can you tell me if this has been tested and is working with the latest version of Mountain Lion – OSX 10.8.5?

38. Luis says:

Just writing to thank you and letting you know it worked flawlessly under Mavericks.

39. Metin says:

My recovery partition was lost when I changed the HD and restored from Time Machine. For some reason, the recovery partition had not been created.

Version 3.7 of your tool worked like a charm on my OS X 10.7.5 Lion system. Thank you so much!

40. Chris says:

Just a note to say many thanks – worked perfectly on Mavericks (10.9.1). Can now enable Find My Mac now I have the recovery partition back.

41. eelay says:

Thank you so much. This worked flawlessly and very fast on Mavericks (10.9.1). Maybe you should write some instructions. I had to read through the old blog posts to find out that I need the Mavericks installer on my disc and was until the I read the very first post of your project I wasn’t sure if I lose any data.

42. Wim says:

Awesome !! Worked perfectly on 10.8.5
    Many Thanks Chris

43. Alv says:

It worked! I had the same issue that some people are having when changing the hdd for a sdd in a macbook pro and “Find my mac” wasn’t working. Your script fixed it so thank you very much! In my case, windows didn’t prompt, I had to click in the bouncing button every time to see the messages. I don’t know if this is normal, just for you to know. Mavericks 10.9.1 macbook pro mid 2012 (6.2).

44. […] A little further searching led me to Christopher Silvertooth’s handy AppleScript utility, Recovery Partition Creator. As it suggests, it can create a brand new partition on your startup disk or an external disk, as […]

45. […] A little further searching led me to Christopher Silvertooth’s handy AppleScript utility, Recovery Partition Creator. As it suggests, it can create a brand new partition on your startup disk or an external disk, as […]

46. […] A little further searching led me to Christopher Silvertooth’s handy AppleScript utility, Recovery Partition Creator. As it suggests, it can create a brand new partition on your startup disk or an external disk, as […]

47. […] A little further searching led me to Christopher Silvertooth’s handy AppleScript utility, Recovery Partition Creator. As it suggests, it can create a brand new partition on your startup disk or an external disk, as […]

48. […] A little further searching led me to Christopher Silvertooth’s handy AppleScript utility, Recovery Partition Creator. As it suggests, it can create a brand new partition on your startup disk or an external disk, as […]

49. […] A little further searching led me to Christopher Silvertooth’s handy AppleScript utility, Recovery Partition Creator. As it suggests, it can create a brand new partition on your startup disk or an external disk, as […]

50. […] A little further searching led me to Christopher Silvertooth’s handy AppleScript utility, Recovery Partition Creator. As it suggests, it can create a brand new partition on your startup disk or an external disk, as […]

51. Wilksy says:

thankyou! works perfectly

52. ATMann says:

It worked perfectly with my new SSD and HDD combo. I cloned the HDD to the SSD, but it didn’t include the Recovery Partition, so your program allowed me to include it. Thanks.

53. Theodor says:

Worked Perfectly
    10.9.2

54. MaestroABFM says:

I was wondering if the script worked from SMB connected shares/volumes if the script and Apple Installer.app was located on them. It worked great from a afp network share. OSX 10..9.2

55. Arthur Cançado says:

It works for me, thanks a lot.

56. Oliver says:

Well!! It works with my latest Mac OS X too. Though, I’m also looking for some Windows recovery program that could serve me the same result or even better.

One of my friend has recommend to try and test Stellar Phoenix Partition Software or I don’t remember the name exactly. Could anyone please go through it and recommend if it would be better. The detailed information can be found here:

Looking forward your help guys!!

57. […] Silvertooth bietet mit dem Recovery Partition Creator das passende Apple Script dafür […]

58. John says:

Thanks! This worked for me without a hitch. Running Hackintosh 10.9.2 Was fairly quick install for my Hackintosh. As mentioned “Find My Mac” doesn’t work without a recovery partition. With this app my computer has a recover partition now…. but now get this message “This Mac can’t be located because it does not have Wi-Fi. You an still lock or wipe this Mac.” No problem… guess I can get a Wi-Fi card.

59. John says:

This worked with my above desktop using Z68XP-UD3 motherboard… But not my HP Laptop Hackintosh running 10.9.2.

Last window before the process begins quickly disappears and app quits.

60. jpa6719 says:

Great little tool! Shaved me from a compete erase and reinstall. Keep up the great work!

61. Jeff says:

How do I get this to work in Mavericks 10.9.2 with 2 ssd’s in a RAID 0 config?

Hi Jeff,

You can’t install a Recovery Partition on a RAID volume. You can use my tool to create a recovery partition on a USB stick or another hard drive. This probably doesn’t help since I am sure you want to use Find My Mac or Filevault.

Here is a link to Apple’s KB article about limitations with different drive configurations.

• John says:

I’m wondering if the failure to install a Recovery Partition on my HP Laptop Hackintosh is due to the fact the hard drive has three partitions? One for OS X, Windows 7 and a sharing partition. Oh also there’s an invisible EFI partition… so make that four partitions for the HP laptop. What you do you think Jeff?

Your software worked fine on my desktop Hackintosh with a one partition hard drive.

Thanks!

John

• Mark says:

I wonder the same as Jeff.

Then why do Sonnet say this on their website?
        I don’t understand how they managed to get a Recovery Partition with their card. How does that work?

758 – Can I install Mac OS directly onto SSDs (or an SSD RAID) on the card? Will I get a recovery partition? Jul-15-13

Yes, you can install a bootable Mac OS for Mac Pro 3,1 and newer on a single SSD, a RAID of 2 SSDs, a RAID of 4 SSDs (using two Tempo SSD Pros), or a RAID of 6 SSDs (using three Tempo SSD Pros). In order to get a recovery partition, you need to run the Mac OS installer and it will create the recovery partition automatically. The recovery partition will not be created if you try to copy the OS from an existing drive (using Carbon Copy Cloner, for example).

Hardware RAID is different. If you are using a card then you should be able to make a Recovery Partition. I guess I should have asked as I assumed it was a software RAID since all of the questions I have received related to RAID were for Software RAIDin the past. My apologies for the confusion. That said, unfortunately I have no way to test my program with a hardware RAID config.
          Did you receive any errors when trying to use the program? Maybe I can figure it out with your help.

Cheers,

62. Adrian says:

Hi,

I have a Macbook pro late 2011 with Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.2. (I’ve lost the recovery partition after a crash in my hd)

While running the app all looks good but on the screen “Creating recovery Partition. This is going to take a bit.” the app close without any message.

Here some info that could help.

diskutil list (BEFORE START THE PROCESS)
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0
    1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_CoreStorage 499.2 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 650.0 MB disk0s3
    /dev/disk1
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD *498.9 GB disk1

diskutil list (AFTER THE PROCESS WHEN CLOSES WITHOUT MESSAGE)
    /dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0
    1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_CoreStorage 499.2 GB disk0s2
    3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 650.0 MB disk0s3
    /dev/disk1
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD *498.9 GB disk1

Can anyone help me?

Regards
    Adrian

• Adrian says:

Hi

Trying to debug the script I noticed that the app closes with the follow command

do shell script “\”” & dmtestapp & “\” ensureRecoveryPartition ” & devicePath & ” \”/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.dmg\” 0 0 \”/Volumes/OS X Install ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist\””

Thanks
      Adrian

63. heebbi says:

works for me, thank you very much for your work

64. wolf says:

Chris, I just ran the 3.7 script on a 10.8.5 system that didn’t have the recovery partition. It created the partition just fine and on restart, it booted from the recovery partition. However, it killed the main partition’s OS. Everything is there but the main drive is no longer seen as bootable. It does not appear when the option key is held down at boot. I’ve run Diskwarrior & Disk Utility which find nothing wrong with it. I zapped PRAM which now showed the drive as bootable in the Recovery partition’s startup disk selection, but when chosen it still boots only from the recovery partition. I can’t find any way to get the system to boot normally. I’m forced to do a recovery restore and hope that resolves this.

Whoa… I have never seen that in 2 years. The partition disappeared completely? Can you get to the command line in recovery mode and find the partition that way? What is the output of ‘diskutil list’?

65. matthaus says:

thanks so much! this is great work. saved me from another unproductive day without my system back up!

66. Ben says:

Wow, thanks for making this Chris. Worked perfectly on a 10.9.2 Macbook Pro. Just a heads up, I have shared this with other users at https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=10624 . Keep up the great work and amazing solutions! -Ben

67. dfbills says:

This tool looks great, but I was unable to get it to work on my 10.9.3 system with a fusion drive. The app appears to run successfully and reports that the partition was created, but I don’t see it in the Disk Utility in Debug mode. Any ideas how to create the recovery partition?

68. TIm says:

Thanks for this tool. I just tried it on my Mavericks 10.9.3, and it failed after I selected which Recovery partition to create (I chose 10.9). Any clues?

Tim

• TIm says:

Update: I had Windows 8 along with it’s weird extra partition on my hard drive. I deleted it with the Boot Camp Manager, and your tool then created a new recovery partition for me with no problem.

Thanks again for the hard work!

Tim

69. Andrei says:

Why didn’t Apple think of this? I’ve got no recovery partition after having reinstalled Mavericks several times.

70. carlos says:

The app keeps crashing after I choose the Mac OSX Lion 10.7.3 Retail.dmg.
    I have tried mounting the dmg and selecting the Mac OSX Lion 10.7.3 installer and it still crashes

You shouldn’t need the DMG. Just get the OS X installer.app and point the recovery program at that.

71. SteveF says:

When using Recovery Partition Creator 3.7 shouldn’t I first create a partitioned HD so that my recovery files are seperate from the Macintosh HD

There is no need to create a partition first. Part of the program calls an Apple executable that will partition your drive for you. The executable will do this in a non-destructive way. That said, it is always important to have a backup of your data in the event something goes awry.

72. Bob says:

Since the script didn’t work for me yesterday I went ahead and re-partitioned my internal drive and reinstalled 10.9 on one partition. I ran the script again and this time it created the recovery partition normally. It’s only 650 Mb which is smaller than expected, but it works.

73. […] actually important. Luckily, it’s very easy to restore. The easiest way, I found, was to use Recovery Partition Creator, an AppleScript by Christopher Silvertooth that does the heavy lifting for […]

74. […] actually important. Luckily, it’s very easy to restore. The easiest way, I found, was to use Recovery Partition Creator, an AppleScript by Christopher Silvertooth that does the heavy lifting for […]

75. […] actually important. Luckily, it’s very easy to restore. The easiest way, I found, was to use Recovery Partition Creator, an AppleScript by Christopher Silvertooth that does the heavy lifting for […]

76. Neal Cassady says:

Thanks for the fantastic little program/script — worked a charm!

I upgraded my HDD to a SSD some time back, and messed up the clone using CCC – so did not have a Recovery Partition on my HDD. Wasn’t too bad, since I could still use my Recovery USB – but it’s something that always bugged me, not having it on my HDD…

Very please I stumbled across your site — tested it, and everything working as it should. Many thanks!

77. George Wedding says:

OK, so I ran the script and successfully installed the recovery Partition that was missing from my hacked, OS X Mavericks install. The only thing is, I installed a 10.9 Maverick’s partition, which I believe I now have to go into a swap out the boot.efi files to ensure it will boot this older machine if (or when) its ever needed.

In this unusual situation, perhaps I should have selected the 10.7 recovery option, the last version officially supported by Apple?

Hi all,

Sorry for the delays on getting back with you all. I just started a new job in the last 2 weeks so I have been a bit slammed getting up to speed. I will look through the comments today and tomorrow and try and get back with each of you. Thank you for your patience.

Cheers,

78. karibusana says:

You are a star my friend :) at the beginning it didn’t work for me but after i installed mavericks downloaded from App Store it worked amazingly.

Many many thanks, i’ll write on my blog :)

79. Richard says:

Thank you for all your hard work.

80. […] meque?a utilidad escrita en AppleScript llamada Recovery Partition Creator nos logra ayudar con esto. Con ella podemos seleccionar el disco de […]

81. […] mequeña utilidad escrita en AppleScript llamada Recovery Partition Creator nos puede ayudar con esto. Con ella podemos seleccionar el disco de arranque del Mac (o cualquier […]

82. […] mequeña utilidad escrita en AppleScript llamada Recovery Partition Creator nos puede ayudar con esto. Con ella podemos seleccionar el disco de arranque del Mac (o cualquier […]

83. […] mequeña utilidad escrita en AppleScript llamada Recovery Partition Creator nos puede ayudar con esto. Con ella podemos seleccionar el disco de arranque del Mac (o cualquier […]

84. […] Of course, when I formatted the drive, I didn’t create the recovery partition.  I didn’t know that I needed to, and I didn’t know how to.  Now I needed a way to create the recovery partition after the fact.  Thankfully, Christopher Silvertooth has come to the rescue with “Recovery Partition Creator 3.7“. […]

85. Me says:

Works great!

86. JimHuls says:

A couple of things just copying my MacBook Pro HD over to an SSD that was installed into the optical drive bay…

1. I was getting an error that it exited out with a non-zero error. I figured out that I needed to remove the old drive for it to work.

2. I noticed that the actual Recovery Partition program actually states it’s 3.6 in the menu bar but the zip and app files state 3.7.

Thanks for putting this together. It worked great once i figured out that it didn’t like me having the old drive in the system.

Thanks for the feedback. I must have forgot to update the app version. Note to self: update the app version number. I have used it with multiple drives before but not that particular configuration. Maybe it has something to do with the hard drive installed in the dvd bay?

Cheers,

87. Arg says:

Thank you! Worked fine with 10.9.3. Notes:
    1. Similar to what was already mentioned, I had to unmount my AFP network drive before I could get it to work.
    2. I didn’t see the dialog box asking which version to install, but found it in the back when I minimized the other windows.

88. Steve says:

Hi,

I had an interesting issue where I got an error ‘Finder exited with a non zero value’ after I chose my internal HD named OS X as the location to create the recovery partition. I took a look at the script, and then renamed my internal HD to OSX and everything went fine.

Just thought you should know. Thanks for a great tool. :)

89. Andres says:

Hi,
    Mac Os X Mavericks 10.9.4
    Macbook Pro 17″

Thanks for your app.
    Unfortunately, it does not work here :(
    It disappears from the dock after selecting the Mavericks installer in Applications.
    I disconnected all external disks and still not working…
    Any ideas?

Try the new version 3.8 – I think I may have fixed some bugs that may be the culprit.

90. David Taylor says:

Thanks for making the script. Ran it against 1.9.2. Seems to boot OK.

91. Cancel the wild conjecture. The Macintosh HD volume had errors. I ran RPC 3.7 with the volume check and it never said there were issues. It just continued. When i tried to manually create free space in disk utility it displayed an error message that the volume had to be repaired. i booted with my USB key to enter Mavericks setup and access disk utility. It successfully repaired Macintosh HD then on reboot and first try of RPC3.7 it completed successfuly.