Recovery Partition Creator 4.0.1

May 12, 2016 by Christopher Silvertooth

Update:

I know there are a few bugs causing some issues for a handful of users.  I am trying to get a better testing environment setup so I can troubleshoot the problems (running out of disk space made this difficult).  As soon as I get this squared away I hope to find the bugs and squash them.

Here it is in all its glory!  Version 4 removed some pieces of software that didn’t work really well which may confuse users who are on 10.9 or earlier.  If you are using 10.10 or later there is a new applescript progress bar, which doesn’t work on anything  before 10.9, which replaced the old progress indicator.  It will show the progress of the 2 major steps.  The disk check and the actual copying of the recovery partition goods to the appropriate place.  It isn’t the greatest thing but it is better than nothing.  The progress bar doesn’t go away until all steps are complete.  So let it be as you are prompted for other things.  I will add some instructions in a bit.

Cheers,

Chris

apple / Mac Fixes / tools

Comments

1. Christopher Silvertooth says:

test again

2. Joe says:

When I run your new 4.0.1 version, I receive a message that “Legacy Apple HFS Detected” and then “The command exited with non-zero status.”

3. Sarah says:

Thanks! Ran the new 4.0 just a, half hour ago, and it worked seamlessly! Returned the additional functionality to my laptop, lost when cloning the hard drive. Running El Capitan with the same “Legacy Apple HFS Detected” message also noted, but process continued without a hitch. Running 10.11.4 on a mid-2009 macbook, if it helps, as Joe has a problem.

4. Bernhard says:

Thank you for all your work! 🙂
    I get an error “Variable mainDrive not defined” at the check disk stage and if I skip the check, the error comes back while creating the recovery partition. I have Windows 10 installed on another partition via Boot Camp, maybe it’s got something to do with that?

Thanks for the feedback Bernhard. Seems I have a bug to squash. Hopefully I can get to it this week.

Chris

• Joshua Hansen says:

Also getting this error.

“The variable mainDrive” is not defined.

If it helps, I cloned this drive using SuperDuper! so I didn’t have to go through a reinstall process.

Can you provide the output of the following command.

open terminal and type: diskutil list

Chris

• Lance says:

I’m seeing this error too. Note: I have a second drive attached (which I’m not currently booted to). Here’s my output:

diskutil list
            /dev/disk7 (disk image):
            #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
            0: GUID_partition_scheme +7.2 GB disk7
            1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk7s1
            2: Apple_HFS OS X Install ESD 6.9 GB disk7s2

• Lance says:

FYI I removed my external drive, and everything worked fine.

5. Hugo Giuliano says:

Hi
    I have a doubt, wich partition do I have to choose? Or i have to create a new one?
    Thanks for your help!

6. jager says:

“Variable mainDrive not defined”
    I’m trying to install on a disk “/dev/disk2/”

7. petert says:

Hi Chris,

getting same error; “The variable mainDrive” is not defined on 2 of my Macs, iMac27 (late 2013) and MBP13 (mid 2012) – both with core storage volumes, both running 10-11-5.

Content of diskutil list:

/dev/disk3 (external, physical):
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: FDisk_partition_scheme *4.2 MB disk3
    1: Windows_FAT_16 LM PNP 4.2 MB disk3s1

pete

8. hnk says:

I tried to run 4.0 and when checking the disc it stated that “mainDrive” variable is not set. I could continue by hitting the OK button, but a few seconds after that it stated that “mainPartition” is not set and it exited. Version 3.8 did the job for me and created the recovery partition.

9. Tim Griskus says:

Hi Chris, thanks for this great tool, however I haven’t been able to get any 4.0 version to work on El Capitan at all, it just starts, and then goes no where, no progress indicators, nothing. I can actually use version 3.8 to get the recovery partition on El Capitan, so it’s been ok, but didn’t know if you knew anything that might be messed up with it.