Recovery Partition 4.0.4

October 5, 2016 by Christopher Silvertooth

Minor update to fix a few Sierra issues.  It probably won’t help everyone but give it a shot.

The download is found on the Downloads page.

Chris

apple / Mac Fixes

Comments

1. Pauld says:

Im unable to create recovery partition under Sierra.
    Everything goes OK , but after choosing installation media – nothing happened for a long period…

2. Stephen Fabay says:

When trying to create a recovery partition, I receive this error message:

Error (async): File system formatter failed (-69832). Suggestions?

• Dema says:

The problem with Sierra is the System Integrity Protection. To solve this you need to disable it.
      2 ways
      Reboot system pressing CMD+R to run in Recovery mode from Internet.
      Utility > Terminal
      csrutil disable; reboot
      After that you can run Recovery Partition Creator without problem creating a recovery on your main Disk
      Run Recovery Partition Creator and create the recovery partition on a external USB
      Reboot system pressing Alt and boot to the recovery installed on the external USB
      Utility > Terminal
      csrutil disable; reboot

After creating the recovery partition on main Disk you can re-enable System Integrity Protection.
      The process to re-enable is:
      Reboot the system to recovery partition (Alt -> Recovery partition)
      Utility > Terminal
      csrutil enable; reboot

PS. When you create a recovery partition with this tool you can’t boot into recovery with CMD+R but you can use Alt and then select Recovery Partition

3. Gerben Wierda says:

I have an AppleRAID (mirror) set consisting of two SSDs. I have added a GUID Partition table to the RAID so I can have multiple partitions in the RAID (instead of having multiple RAIDs built from multiple partitions on both disks). Now, I want to create a Recovery Partition, but the “Recovery Partition Creator” app says: “You cannot specify an AppleRAID set (and a set should not have a partition map)”. A GUID partition table on my RAID is not standard, I know, but it works. Is there any technical reason why I could not put a recovery partition on it?

I haven’t actually tried to put one on an Apple RAID Set but Apple acknowledged a long time ago that you would not be able to have an apple raid with recovery partition. That may have changed but I haven’t seen any info regarding it. If I get a chance I will take a look.

Chris

4. Josh says:

Chris,

Thanks for building this tool. You’re a life saver!

I’m writing to confirm that it functioned well on my MBP 13″ 12,1 (Early-2015) with Sierra 10.12.3 installed. I had messed around with dual-booting Linux and created a partition for it, which screwed up FileVault when I eventually removed Linux.

The steps I had to take were:
    0. If FileVault is enabled, disable it and wait for your drive to be decrypted.
    1. Use a LiveCD USB with GParted installed (pretty much and Linux distro) to remove all other partitions from the Macintosh HD besides the EFI partition and the macOS partition.
    2. Boot into recovery mode (I had an Install macOS Sierra USB previously created).
    3. While in recovery mode, use Disk Utility to expand the macOS partition to its full size.
    4. While in recovery mode, disable SIP (as previously instructed).
    5. Reboot into macOS. Run Recovery Partition Creator.
    6. Reboot into recovery mode using Command-R.
    7. Re-enable SIP, if desired.

I was then able to re-enable FileVault with the full size of my installed drive available (less the recovery partition, of course). Thanks again!

—Josh

5. Joe says:

Hi Chris,

Just thought I’d drop you a note to say that after a fair bit of fiddling around, and using our csrutil suggestion, and booting from a USB drive, I managed to use this tool to fix the recovery partition on my Mid-2012 MPB, which was missing after I’d upgraded the SSD.

This then allowed me to turn on FileVault for the drive, which makes me (and my employers) happier 🙂

Thanks!

6. atman says:

Will it keep adding new recovery paritions if I run it again? The first time didn’t go so well (I didn’t change the os language to english and got a variable error) so I just quit the program.

When I ran Diskutil list the recovery partition seems to be there (650MB partition at the end). I even booted into it and then encrypted with FileVault. So I presume its working despite no dialog saying it installed. hope there isn’t any problems in the future

7. kg says:

Has anyone tried this tool on the new Late 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar? It seems to be successful, but won’t boot into recovery mode with CMD+R and doesn’t show a recovery partition when holding Alt while booting. MacOS will let you enable FileVault encryption after using this tool, so it seems to be creating the partition, but it just isn’t bootable. (Late 2016 MacBook Pro 15in, macOS 10.12.4, Recovery Partition 4.0.4)

8. Mike says:

I’d love to use your script, but the download page at Dropbox presents an error message saying that the file has been moved or made private.

Dropbox changed the way the my public folder works. I recopied the link so hopefully it works again. Let me know if it doesn’t.

Chris